Garden & Photography Rules
Birmingham Botanical Gardens is a living museum filled with many different kinds of plants. Not all of our plants are always obvious but all of them are valuable and important to us! Please help us to care for our unique collections and maintain our safe, beautiful and serene atmosphere by adhering to these simple rules, which are designed for the safety of our plants, animals and visitors alike.
- Always stay on paths, paved surfaces and turf areas;
- Enjoy viewing the plants, structures, animals, and the natural beauty in the gardens and avoid touching or damaging the property. Please follow our Invasive Exotic Plant Policy when bringing plants onto Gardens Property;
- Please refrain from climbing on shrubs, plants, trees, fences, walls, boulders and other garden features;
- Please respect visitors to the gardens by not playing active sports (e.g. football, soccer, baseball, Frisbee, kite-flying, etc.);
- Do not feed any wild or domesticated animals, including ducks, geese and fish;
- Support animals are permitted but pets are not permitted at the garden;
- Alcoholic beverages are only allowed for permitted groups in reserved areas;
- Help keep the gardens clean- please do not litter;
- Weapons, firearms, fireworks or explosives of any kind are prohibited;
- Children under the age of twelve (12) must be accompanied and watched by an adult at all times;
- Bodies of water are for viewing; please do not wade, fish, bathe, boat, ice skate or throw objects, including coins;
- Bicycles are permitted in areas where vehicles are permitted; skates, scooters, and skateboards are not allowed in the gardens;
- Fires of any kind, including campfires, cooking fires or candles, are forbidden;
- All visitors may park in designated areas only and obey directional signs. Violators will be ticketed;
- As a courtesy to our guests, please avoid playing audio equipment such as radios, CD, DVD or MP3 players out loud;
- Solicitation is unacceptable except with the written permission of the Park & Recreation Board;
- Structures, tents or platforms must have the written permission of the Park & Recreation Board.
Please behave in a safe and courteous manner at all times. Inappropriate behavior or endangering the welfare of other patrons or personnel may result in expulsion from The Gardens and possibly other penalties, as provided by law, including assessing of damages. Birmingham Botanical Gardens is owned by the Birmingham Park & Recreation Board.
Photographs are a wonderful way to remember your visit to Birmingham Botanical Gardens. We encourage visitors to take casual photographs for their own personal use. We are delighted that you are considering the Birmingham Botanical Gardens as the location for your photos and portraits. To ensure a positive experience for you, while maintaining a pleasant experience for our many visitors, please be aware of the following rules and guidelines:
General Photography Guidelines:
The Gardens does not take reservations for wedding and portrait photo sessions.
- DO NOT walk in any planted, mulched or wooded area for any reason. Always stay on paths and turf areas;
- DO NOT injure, disturb, damage, deface or remove any plant, plant part, garden feature, rock, cultural material, bird, animal or structure for any reason;
- DO NOT climb up, walk on, or otherwise abuse trees, shrubs, plants, fences, walls, boulders or other garden feature;
- DO NOT play any audio equipment such as radios, CD, DVD or MP3 players out loud;
- DO NOT solicit, except with the written permission of the Park & Recreation Board.
Some Friendly Reminders:
Our visitors at The Gardens also want a pleasant experience. Please be courteous and do not block pathways or other access areas in any way. Remember that The Gardens is a public place where visitors are welcome in all public areas, and that regular business continues during normal operating hours.
Thank you for choosing The Gardens for your wedding, family and individual portraits!