This urban oasis features thousands of plants that thrive in Southern gardens. Please help us to care for our collections and maintain our serene atmosphere by following these rules established by the City of Birmingham Park and Recreation Board for the safety of our plants, animals, and visitors alike.
- Be sure to stay on paths, paved surfaces, and turf areas.
- Enjoy viewing the plants, structures, animals, and the natural beauty in the gardens, and avoid touching or damaging the property.
- Please refrain from climbing on shrubs, plants, trees, fences, walls, boulders, and other garden features.
- Please respect other visitors by not playing active sports (e.g. football, soccer, baseball, Frisbee, kite-flying, etc.).
- Do not feed wild or domesticated animals, including ducks, geese, or fish.
- Service animals are welcome. Please note that pets and other animals are not permitted in the Gardens. (See Alabama laws for service animals.).
- You are welcome to enjoy a picnic on the Formal Lawn, on a swing or bench, or at a table in the Hill Garden on a first-come, first-served basis. Groups planning a special event such as a birthday party, luncheon, or wedding, please call 205.414.3908 or 205.414.3909 to reserve a garden space.
- Alcoholic beverages are allowed only for permitted groups in reserved areas.
- Help keep the Gardens clean—please do not litter.
- Smoking and fireworks of any kind are prohibited.
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied and watched by an adult at all times.
- Our bodies of water are for viewing; please do not wade, fish, bathe, boat, ice-skate, or throw objects, including coins.
- Bicycles are permitted in areas where vehicles are permitted; skates, scooters, and skateboards are not allowed in the Gardens.
- Fires of any kind, including campfires, cooking fires, or candles, are forbidden.
- Park in designated areas only, and obey directional signs. Violators will be ticketed.
- As a courtesy to our guests, please avoid playing audio equipment such as radios, CD, DVD, or MP3 players out loud.
- Solicitation is prohibited except with the written permission of the Birmingham Park & Recreation Board.
- Structures, tents, or platforms must have the written permission of the Birmingham Park & Recreation Board.